Friday 26 June 2015

Why I Drink Coffee (Almost) Every Morning



With a busy work schedule, a longer than average commute and an active after-work life, I, like many of you, am consistently running on fumes. I wake up each morning before sunrise and before my feet even touch the ground, I’m already mentally compiling lists of all the things I need to tackle for the day just to keep up with my ever growing “to-dos”. Whether it’s a week day or a weekend, the pace doesn’t seem to slow. And to be fair, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I remained idle and I take pride in all of the things I’m able to accomplish by keeping myself always on the move.

While on the GO train the other morning though (that’s the commuter train I take into the city for work each day) I realized something I hadn’t thought about before. While sipping in my first mouthful of coffee for the day I realized that I drink coffee every morning religiously not because of the caffeine jolt it gives me (I’m unfortunately passed this point of caffeine having much effect on me physiologically), but because of what it represents in my day. My coffee time represents 30 minutes I give myself for undistracted, personal reflection. And I also realized that this 30 minutes is hand-down one of the things I look forward to each morning – one of my most cherished gifts if you will.


Now it may sound like if I only grant myself these 30 minutes for deep reflection that I may spend these 30 minutes toiling over complex work or personal problems that need resolve; and yes sometimes I do if that’s what is consuming my thoughts. But most days I guiltlessly just spend the 30 minutes thinking about things that inspire me, things I’ve read recently in an article but didn’t yet have a chance to form an opinion on, places I’d like to travel to someday, or my ultimate favorite, deeply concentrating on the people and the environment around me so as to try and notice all the sights, sounds and smells associated with where I am. It feels great to ground myself each morning in the “now”, and without concerted effort spending time thinking about things that come and go from my mind without forcing any particular thought over another.
It feels kind of weird to reflect on reflecting, but if you’re like me with a go-go-go schedule, I think it’s important to a) take the time to give back to yourself personally and b) to notice when you do this so you can feel how great you feel and then consciously make a commitment to continue on with this habit no matter what curve balls get thrown your way. So with my new found wisdom I want to challenge every reader. I dare you to give in to yourself and take a step back from your hectic schedule every single day by doing some little thing that brings you happiness. It may not be a 30 minute coffee-assisted personal reflection period like I have chosen, it may instead be a walk with your dog or a shower with your music blaring so loud it blocks out your spouse. But make that habit and take the time every day to give back to yourself. And when you’re doing whatever it is that recharges your battery or fills your cup (sorry but I love corny puns), take a second to notice the gift you’ve just given yourself, that is before realizing you’re late yet again to drop off your kids for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment